Wednesday, October 29, 2008

100 Women Publicly Breastfeed in Rome

This mass feeding took place in Rome. One hundred mothers staged a public breastfeeding in hopes of making a political statement.

The organization Salvamamme (save mommy) hopes to break the stigma of mothers feeding in public. This apparently became an issue when actress, Maggie Gyllenhaal, was criticez for breastfeeding in public.

But wow, is this type of protest going to be a stigma breaker? It seems that this might make the aversion even worse. Or, maybe it will take acts such as these to change the opponents views.

I do think that we have to be a bit realistic here. There is really nothing attractive about seeing a woman, whose breasts look like udders, breastfeeding. I mean, Angelina Jolie, did look beautiful on the front of W, but look at her! Most of us aren't so lucky.
So, I could kind of see why many do not want to view this site.

However, a baby has to eat. I do remember one desperate day in IKEA where I had to sit on a couch in one of their vignettes and feed my newborn. I tried to conceal the goods.

So Nipple Nazis and Modern Women alike...let me know your thoughts.

Read the full article after the

2 comments: