Tuesday, November 25, 2008

How to Excel in a Male World

For 13 years, I was in the wine business. I got in when women were expected to wear low cut blouses and stay out late drinking at their accounts. No, I didn't play that game. I chose not to play any games. I decided to learn from these big bellied post proabition men. At first, I watched and listened. I felt like Jane Goodall observing her orangutans. I observed that there was in fact a hierarchical structure with definite rules. In this way, I learned how to interact in the business setting like a man but with a feminine side.

That being said, when I read this article by Dana Matiolli, for the New York Times, I had to laugh. Basically, it's a "helpful" list of things that anyone, not just women, should do when starting a new job. Learn the culture, get to know your co-workers, find a mentor, be confident and align yourself with the right people.....

Most women learned this stuff in the 80's or 90's. Of course, If you didn't then: 1) It's way past time that you did, and 2) I'm not sure why you are even reading my blog.

So here's the synopsis:

1) Make Sure Women are Valued
Yes, well no kidding. If you see no other women in any position other than HR or the front desk...be polite, but get the hell out of there.

2) Identify Alpha and Beta Males
Dana says to use language tailored to each personality type. Oh, I get it, she means to MANIPULATE them. Well thanks so much for that kernel of knowledge, Dana.

3) Find a Mentor
Apparently the mentor is supposed to be another woman in the company. And, she is supposed to teach you all of the, so 80's things, in this article.

4) Speak Assertively
as opposed to.....?

5) Socialize with the Boys
Isn't calling them "boys" sort of reverse sexism, Dana? They are grown MEN - not prepubescent.

6) Don't Assume Stereotypical Roles
So just to add some spice to this lame article, Dana has to throw some sexist stereotypes in there. Telling us that we are naturally nurturing and not to be too nice for risk of looking too "servile."

I'm not sure if her editor made her write this or what. But, if you must read the entire article, here it is after the JUMP

Women at Work, Feminism

No comments:

Post a Comment