Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Life of a Transgender Boy

All things transgender hold a dear place in my heart.

Not in the voyeuristic circus side show freak kind of a way, but from a place of acceptance.

Having been a professional dancer, I was immersed in a culture that wrote it's own rules, pushed the limits, and, at times, payed the price for it. I danced in drag queen competitions, marched in Gay Pride parades and hung out with Ru Paul. She used to say, "don't mess with this queen. There ain't nothing prettier or fiercer."
Ru and many men dealt with so much societal bashing that their resilience was endless. Many had been disowned by their families, fired from jobs, evicted from their homes, and physically harmed.

This was the fate of the male transgender before we knew the physiological truth.

I came across this article, by Linda Rosen for the Atlantic. Ms Rosen beautifully weaves a true story about a boy named Brandon/Bridgett with the latest research on Transgender Disorder.

Please read it:)

Here is it, after the JUMP

Transgender, Gay

No comments:

Post a Comment